This is a sponsored post with Amazon as part of Forward Influence. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Halloween has always been one of my all time favorite holidays! As a kid, I used to plan out my costume and collect items to make it months in advance. Now that I have kiddos of my own, I love planning out their Halloween costume creations with items we have around the house.
Being Amazon Prime members, if there’s one thing we have a lot of around our home, it’s Amazon smile Boxes. These boxes are perfect for making Boxtumes! Boxtumes are creative costumes made at home using Amazon smile boxes and crafting supplies that you already have around the house. Smile boxes can also be used to craft other custom Halloween items—from DIY treat containers and masks to decorations and haunted houses!
This year, my youngest said she wanted to be able to fly for Halloween. Well, since I don’t possess that kind of magic, I thought a Hot Air Balloon Boxtume might be the next best thing. This box costume is easy to make, unique, and perfect for any child who likes to stand out on Halloween night!
One of the many reasons I love Amazon Prime is that I can always find everything I need to craft with and it’s usually no more than two days away! A perfect perk for a mom of an impatient four-year-old waiting on her costume to be built.
What you’ll need:
1 Amazon Smile Box
1 Roll of Kraft Tape
2 Rolls of Burlap Patterned Duct Tape
2 Brown Paper Bags (lunch size)
2 Pieces of White Felt
Hot Glue and Glue Gun
6 Colorful Latex Balloons on Strings (filled with helium)
1) First, assemble the Amazon box if it’s not already a square. Make sure to fold the top and bottom flaps into the box. Plug in your glue gun and allow it to warm up.
2) Use your Duct Tape to create a lattice pattern around the entire box
3) Use the Kraft Tape and place a strip of it on the top of each side of the box. This will be the top of the basket.
4) Take your two Brown Paper Bags and stuff them with either left over packing material or paper towel. These will be your hot air balloon weight bags. Hot glue one bag to the top of each smaller side of the box.
5) Take the bunting you have and cut it to fit the front and back of the wider sides of the box. Hot glue the bunting in place.
6) Cut out two cloud shapes from the White Felt and hot glue them onto the bottom of the front of your hot air balloon basket.
7) To make the straps, measure out an arm’s length or so of duct tape. Cut it and set aside with the sticky side up. Cut a second piece of the same length and place the two together. Repeat this to make the second strap. Duct Tape the straps criss-cross style in the inside middle of the front and back parts of your hot air balloon basket.
8) Ta-Da! You’re ready for adventure!
I absolutely love how this Boxtume turned out! Not only is it adorable, but my four-year-old loves walking around in it. The Amazon smile box costume is lightweight, easy to walk in, and easy to take off for when the fun is done. This Hot Air Balloon Boxtume is simple, unique, and guaranteed to be a head turner!
Did you create a Hot Air Balloon Boxtume? Share your photos online with #Boxtumes, #AmazonPrime and #morethanabox, I’d love to see them!
Eva @ Urban Wheelz says
Amazing! Great crafting idea!
Mary W says
This is so fun! Love the idea
So perfect and cute, totally stealing this idea for my little!! We shop Amazon all the time so we will have no problem finding the perfect box to reuse.