This post is in conjunction with Cost Plus World Market. All opinions are my own.
Tennis has always been a favorite sport in our family. I grew up playing as a child and so watching the Australian Open every year became a staple for us! This year, I wanted to create the perfect Australian atmosphere for our tennis party. Nothing says tennis party better than what you can SERVE up to your guests! Take a look at 3 of my favorite Australian Open inspired recipes and have fun creating your own tennis themed party as the tournament takes place this year!
Fresh Fruit Pavlova
When it comes to Australian food, one of my absolute favorites is the Pavlova. This light and airy dessert is a staple in Australia and perfectly embodies how light the tennis players of the Australian Open need to be on their feet.
The Pavlova marries the melt in your mouth crispness of cooked meringue with homemade whipped cream and fresh fruit. Partner with a few Arnott’s Chocolate Scotch Finger Biscuits and you have quite the treat!
Fresh Fruit Pavlova Recipe
For the meringue base:
5 egg whites
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the topping:
1 pint heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 cups diced fresh fruit
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw a 9-inch circle on the parchment paper.
- Combine the cornstarch, vanilla and lemon juice in a small bowl, set aside
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gradually add in the sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until thick and glossy. Gently fold in vanilla extract, lemon juice, and cornstarch mixture.
- Spoon mixture inside the circle drawn on the parchment paper. Working from the center, spread mixture toward the outside edge, building edge slightly. This should leave a slight depression in the center.
- Bake for 1 hour. Turn oven off and leave in the oven over night.
- In a small bowl, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Mix in the powdered sugar; set aside.
- Remove the parchment paper from the meringue and place on a flat serving plate.
- Wait till about 20 minutes before serving and fill the center of the meringue with whipped cream, and top with fresh fruit slices.
Tennis Ball Cocktail
Midori, citrus vodka and Fresca come together for an Ace with this fun Australian Open inspired cocktail. I love the fruity bubbly-ness this fun cocktail brings to the party!
The Tennis Ball Cocktail
- 1 ounce Midori
- 2 ounces Vodka (I used citrus flavored, plain would be good too)
- 2-3 ounces Fresca (to taste)
Australian Style Potato Salad
Take it to the court with this fresh side dish as it spices up the party with it’s picnic style taste. I love the fresh herbs cut up into this salad, throw in the deli-mustard, mayo combo and the softness of the boiled potatoes and it’s the perfect party side!
Australian Style Potato Salad
- 6 large potatoes, rinsed in cool water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon deli-style mustard (if you don’t have this you can mix spicy brown and regular mustard together)
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Gently boil potatoes until a skewer will penetrate to the center. Turn off heat, pour off water and fill the pot with cold water. Leave until potatoes are quite cold. Lift from water and peel off outer skin of potatoes. Chop potatoes into even sized cubes and place into a bowl with onion, parsley and cilantro.
- In small bowl mix together the mustard and mayonnaise. Add to potatoes with chopped eggs, and desired amount of salt and pepper. Mix gently to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Each of these fun, tasty and Australian Open themed snacks are perfect for celebrating the upcoming tournament! Take them for a spin and let me know how they turned out.
Watch the Australian Open on the Tenni Channel January 16 through January 29, 2017.
For details: http://tennischannel.com
Win a trip to Australia from Cost Plus World Market
Love tennis? Cost Plus World Market is giving away a trip to Australia and tickets to attend the the 2018 Australian Open!
Enter for a chance to win this Grand Prize Package:
- A Trip for 2 to Australia to attend the 2018 Australian Open
- City Excursions, Dining and More
- $1,000 World Market Gift Card
Plus, THREE first prizes: $500 World Market Gift Cards
Enter online at: www.worldmarketsweepstakes.com . Sweepstakes ends 1/29/17
Shop this post
Love the set up featured in this post? Grab it for yourself with these items from Cost Plus World Market!